Your browser version is no longer supported, so you may experience issues while using this site.
Please upgrade to a current browser to enjoy the best experience.


Does my home insurance cover termites? 

26 March 2020

There are certain situations where an insurer will cover you for damage to your home caused by an animal. For example, if you’re insured with Suncorp Insurance and a bird gets trapped in your house and knocks over the TV, you’re covered. But most insurers, Suncorp Insurance included, don’t cover loss or damage caused by insects, vermin or rodents – including termites – under a home insurance policy. The good news is, there are simple steps you can take to ensure they don’t wreak havoc on your home.

Explore Home Building Insurance

Preventing pest damage

Protecting your home from termites and other pests doesn’t just help maintain your family’s health; it also helps you maintain the value of your home. Remaining pest-free can save you a lot of time and money, as well as the effort of fighting them later! Here are a few tips that may help prevent termites invading and damaging your property:

  • Have regular pest inspections – ideally annually – performed by a professional.
  • Termites love moisture, so make sure drainage pipes don’t drip into the soil. Fix all leaking pipes or water damage around the house quickly.
  • Don’t store untreated timber or other ‘termite food’ near your home.
  • Before buying a home, have it thoroughly inspected.
  • If you have a brick home, ensure the weep holes (gaps between the bricks around the base of the perimeter of your home) are kept clear of concrete, dirt, garden mulch or anything that would allow termites to gain entry to your house.
  • If you see signs of termites, contact a professional pest controller immediately. Don’t try to deal with them yourself.

Read more:

Insurance is issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as Suncorp Insurance. Consider the Product Disclosure Statement before buying this insurance. This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it. 

The information is intended to be of general nature only. Subject to any rights you may have under any law, we do not accept any legal responsibility for any loss or damage, including loss of business or profits or any other indirect loss, incurred as a result of reliance upon the information. Please make your own enquiries.

Escape of liquid

This covers the sudden liquid leaking, overflowing or bursting from things like your fridge, washing machine, bath, toilet, fixed pipes (except agricultural pipes), gutters, swimming pool, water main, fixed cooling system or an aquarium.

We don’t cover damage caused by wear and tear or the gradual leaking of liquid when you’d be reasonably expected to be aware of the condition.