maintaining a home

7 surprising things covered by Suncorp Home and Contents Insurance

1 November 2022

When you think of home and contents insurance, what springs to mind?

Maybe it’s cover for your roof or the tool shed in the backyard. Or perhaps the things inside, like your electronics, appliances and furniture. And that’s fair because Suncorp does cover all those things.

But you’ll be pleased to learn your Home and Contents policy has some little known inclusions tucked away in its pages. So read on to discover seven surprising things you’re automatically covered for – and best of all, they don’t cost you any extra! 


Get a Suncorp Home and Contents Insurance quote  

1. Food and medicines

Food and groceries eat up a huge chunk of your income and medicines can be costly to replace.

Thankfully Suncorp Contents Insurance includes refrigerated and frozen food and medicines if they’re spoiled as a result of an insured event. There are limits, and they vary depending on your level of cover, but if you claim under this cover alone, there’s no excess! 

What do we mean by an insured event? Check your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for more detailed information but it’s things like a fire, burglary, storm etc. 


2. Collector’s items

Are you a die-hard Marvel cosplayer or long time Lord of the Rings fan? Do you have a prized retro State of Origin jersey from the year we vanquished the enemy 3-0?

No matter your passion, you’ll be thrilled to know your beloved collection may be covered for up to $50,000 depending on your level of cover. That’s a lot of comic books and merch!


3. Legal liability for your vacant block of land

Found the perfect block of land but aren’t building just yet? As part of your Suncorp Contents Insurance, we’ll also cover your legal liability for incidents occurring on a vacant block of residential land owned by you, for the 12 month period from the time you became the owner of the land. 

If you sell the land or start to build, cover stops. Limits apply so check out the Suncorp Home and Contents PDS for more information.


Explore the Suncorp Home and Contents Insurance Guide

4. Tools of the trade 

Any tradie knows just how expensive tools can be. And if you need to replace them, it can really throw a spanner in the works. Luckily, tools or equipment used for a business activity (excluding home office equipment) are covered under your Suncorp Contents Insurance.

There’s limits depending on your level of cover, but you could be covered for up to $5,000.


5. Pets

Aussies love their pets and after an event, the last thing you need to worry about is what’s going to happen to your furry friends while your home cannot be lived in. That’s why, for the time Suncorp are covering you for temporary accommodation, we’ll also pay the commercial boarding fees for your domestic pets. While it’s not the same as having them with you, you have the peace of mind knowing they’ll be well looked after and safe.


6. Storage of undamaged contents

If you need to make a claim for damage to your home or contents, the last thing you need to worry about is what happens to any undamaged items that can’t stay at the property.

That’s why if your undamaged contents can’t be kept at the insured address, we’ll pay for the reasonable costs to transport and store those goods until they can be returned home.

The limits for this cover depend on your general contents sum insured, so check your policy documents and read the PDS for more information. 


7. Energy costs

With spiralling energy costs and climate change concerns, many Australians have switched to renewable energy. If you have either a Classic Extras or Classic Advantages policy and claim on an insured event, we cover not only the damage to your green energy generation equipment, but electricity costs resulting from the loss of supply of renewable energy too.

Limits apply so please check the PDS for more details. 


How to make a Suncorp Home Insurance claim

Making a home insurance claim is easy. You could lodge your claim online or via the Suncorp Insurance App in less than 10 minutes.

Keep track of your claim online or through the app and, if your claim is covered, we’ll arrange replacement, repairs or settlement.


Make a Home Insurance claim

Insurance is issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as Suncorp Insurance. Consider the Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision about this insurance. The Target Market Determination is also available. This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.

The information is intended to be of general nature only. Subject to any rights you may have under any law, we do not accept any legal responsibility for any loss or damage, including loss of business or profits or any other indirect loss, incurred as a result of reliance upon the information. Please make your own enquiries.