Life Insurance Code of Practice
What is the Life Insurance Code of Practice?
The Life Insurance Code of Practice (the Code) is a series of mandatory customer service standards that all life insurers need to comply with. These standards cover sales and marketing practices, underwriting and claims and are designed to protect you.
Why is the Life Insurance Code of Practice important?
A contract of insurance is based on the principle of good faith which requires both the insurer and the customer to act honestly and fairly towards each other, and for the insurer to have regard for the customers’ interests. The Code sets out the life insurance industry's key commitments and obligations to customers.
Key Code Promises
- We will be honest, fair, respectful, transparent, and timely when we communicate with you, and we will use plain language unless medical or other technical terminology is needed.
- We will ensure our staff and Authorised Representatives use appropriate sales and retention practices.
- We will offer extra support if you have trouble with the process of buying insurance or claiming.
- If we find that a sale was made using unacceptable sales practices, we will fix it, for example by issuing a refund or replacement policy.
- When you make a claim, we will explain the process and keep you informed about our progress assessing it.
- We will decide on your claim within the Code’s timeframes. But if we cannot, we will explain why and tell you how to make a Complaint.
- If we decline your claim, we will explain why in writing and let you know what to do if you disagree.
- We will restrict the use of investigators and Surveillance to preserve your right to privacy.
- The independent Life Code Compliance Committee (Life CCC) will monitor our compliance with the Code.
- We will be accountable for Code requirements, and the Life CCC can sanction us.
These promises are embedded in our processes and policies to deliver the high standards of customer service specified by the Code.
Suncorp Life’s Commitment to the Life Insurance Code of Practice
Suncorp Life Insurance policies are issued by TAL, who played a key role in creating the Life Insurance Code of Practice. Suncorp Life is committed to delivering the best possible customer service standards. Suncorp Life will continue to look for ways to raise the standards of customer service now and over the years to come.
TAL will transition its industry association membership from the Financial Services Council to the Council of Australian Life Insurers, however remains committed to ensuring continuity of key industry standards. TAL will comply with the Life Insurance Code of Practice and life insurance industry standards in the interests of serving and supporting their customers.
The Life Code Compliance Committee (Life CCC)
The Life CCC is an independent body established to monitor compliance with the Code. Its aim is to ensure consistent and high-quality service standards are provided to customers by the life insurance industry. The Life CCC enforces the Code by monitoring compliance, investigating Code breaches and imposing sanctions where appropriate.
If you feel Suncorp Life has breached the Code, you can make a complaint on the Life Complaints page.
Download a full version of the Code.