Life Insurance Complaint Handling Process
If you have a complaint about your insurance or the service Suncorp Life has provided (including Suncorp Life’s obligations under the Life Insurance Code of Practice) or if you are experiencing financial hardship, please contact Suncorp Life to let them know your concerns. Suncorp Life will do all they can to resolve your complaint as quickly as possible.
Contact the Suncorp Life team
The first thing you can do is let Suncorp Life know what has occurred. Call the Customer Service Centre on 13 77 87 or contact them by email. One of the Suncorp Life consultants may be able to resolve the issue immediately or within 5 business days.
If not, the next step is talking with the Internal Dispute Resolution team.
Contact the Internal Dispute Resolution (IDR) team
If the Suncorp Life customer service consultant cannot resolve your complaint straight away or within 5 business days, they will escalate your complaint to the IDR team. You may also contact the IDR team directly on:
Phone: 1300 795 877
Post: GPO Box 5380 Sydney NSW 2001
To help Suncorp Life deal with your complaint quickly, please include the following information:
- The word 'Complaint' in the heading or subject line
- Your name and contact details, including your daytime phone number and email address
- Details of your complaint
- Copies of any relevant documents
- Your desired outcome
We recommend you keep a copy of your complaint and original documents for your records.
Suncorp Life will acknowledge receipt of your complaint in writing within 48 hours. The acknowledgment will include:
- Your unique IDR complaints reference number
- Date we received your complaint
- Contact details for the IDR Specialist allocated to your complaint
- Confirmation that you will be provided with an update on the progress of your complaint at least every 20 business days, unless an alternative arrangement has been made with you.
- Timeframe in which Suncorp Life will aim to resolve your complaint. Depending on the type of insurance you have with us, this will be a maximum of 45 or 90 days.
Suncorp Life always aims to resolve your complaint as quickly as possible. If Suncorp Life is unable to resolve your complaint within the maximum period, they will inform you of the reasons for the delay and let you know when we expect to provide a response to your complaint. If you are unhappy with the delay, you can escalate your complaint to an external organisation as outlined in step 3 below.
In Suncorp Life’s final response to your complaint, they will provide a written explanation of:
- our investigation into your complaint
- attempts to resolve your complaint,
- reasons for our decision
- how you can access any documents considered
- how you can escalate the complaint to an external organisation (and their contact details) if your complaint has not been resolved to your complete satisfaction (as outlined in step 3).
Contact an external organisation
The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) provides fair and independent financial services complaint resolution that is free to consumers. If your complaint has not been resolved to your complete satisfaction, you can lodge a complaint with AFCA:
Telephone: 1800 931 678 (free call)
In writing to: Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, Melbourne VIC 3001
Time limits may apply to complaints to AFCA. You may wish to consult the AFCA website or contact AFCA directly to find out if there is a time limit on lodging a complaint with AFCA.
Do you need assistance to make a complaint?
If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment you may like to use the National Relay Service.
The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) provides interpreting services to people who do not speak English and to agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients. TIS National can be contacted on 131450.
Can someone else make a complaint on my behalf?
Yes. To protect your privacy, you will need to give us written confirmation that you have authorised another person to assist you with your complaint. You can amend or withdraw this authorisation at any time.