What’s the difference between Compulsory Third Party (CTP) and Third Party Property Car Insurance? 

3 August 2022

They may sound similar but they’re completely different types of insurance! Compulsory Third Party (CTP) covers your liability for the injuries of people hurt in an accident involving your vehicle. Third Party Property Car Insurance, as the name suggests, provides cover for damage to other people’s property, including their vehicles, caused by your car.

In case you’re ever involved in an incident, it can be handy to know the ins and outs of what’s covered.

What does Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP) cover?

CTP Insurance, also known as Green Slip in New South Wales, covers your liability for people injured or killed in an accident caused by your vehicle if you’re at fault. This can include:

  • the driver of your vehicle, whether that’s you or another driver,
  • the drivers of other vehicles involved in the accident,
  • passengers,
  • pedestrians, and
  • cyclists and motorcyclists.

CTP doesn’t cover damage to property, whether it’s your own or other people’s.

Is CTP Insurance compulsory?

Yes, CTP Insurance is mandatory in all states of Australia, but how you get it varies depending on your state.

Review your local CTP or MAI Insurance regulations.

CTP for Queensland drivers

Suncorp Insurance cares about Queensland drivers. Suncorp CTP Insurance provides the following features:

  • A Queensland-based CTP Claims Customer Concierge.
  • A CTP Insurance policy counts towards a multi-policy discount^.

We are Queensland’s largest CTP insurer with over 2 million vehicles.

Get a Queensland CTP quote 

What is Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance?

Third Party Property is a type of liability insurance that provides cover for your costs if someone makes a claim against you for damaging their property while behind the wheel. For example, if you run into their fence, hit their car on the road, or are involved in any other insured event.

Third Party Property Insurance isn’t compulsory in Australia, but it can provide peace of mind on the road – and help save you from expensive legal and repair costs for other people’s property in the event of an accident.

In an accident, does Third Party Insurance cover the other car?

Yes, it provides cover for the other person’s vehicles and property – including, but not limited to, cars! –  but not your own.

The benefits of Suncorp Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance

Suncorp Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance doesn’t just cover the basics. It also covers:

  • damage to your car by at-fault uninsured drivers up to $5,000 (if you can provide us the name and address of the at-fault driver and their vehicle registration number), and
  • damage caused by caravans and trailers towed by your car.

You can opt for Fire and Theft cover too

You also have the option to upgrade your Third Party Property Damage policy to cover damage to your car by fire and theft. On top of the standard coverage, you’ll also be covered for:

  • loss or damage from fire and theft and
  • after claim expenses post-fire or theft up to $1,000.

You’ll also get reasonable costs for a hire car for up to 21 days if your car is stolen!

Get a Third Party Property Damage quote

What is the difference between CTP and Comprehensive Insurance?

CTP provides cover for your liability for the bodily harm or death of others caused by your vehicle.

Comprehensive Car Insurance includes cover for all the basics of Third Party Property Damage – such as damage to other people’s property – as well as damage to your own car caused by things like accidents, vandalism, extreme weather and other insured events. 

The benefits of Suncorp Comprehensive Car Insurance

Suncorp Comprehensive Advantages Car Insurance also provides new for old replacement for cars under two years old after a total loss. If you’re eligible*, we’ll replace your car with a similar model of the same standards and specs. Check out our PDS for more info.

Comprehensive Car Insurance also provides:

  • a lifetime repair guarantee, which ensures the quality of repairs we authorise
  • a hire car after theft for up to 21 days
  • after claim expenses up to $1,000
  • trailer cover up to $1,000, as well as
  • tools of trade cover up to $1,500.

See the PDS for full details and exclusions.

Explore Comprehensive Car Insurance 

Get $50 off when you quote and buy online!

Do you need Third Party Property Insurance if you have Comprehensive Insurance?

No, you don’t. Comprehensive Insurance covers everything that Third Party Insurance does.

But if you hold a Third Party Insurance policy, you can consider upgrading to Comprehensive Insurance – especially if you do rideshare driving or heavily rely on your car.


Read more:


^15% Multi Policy Discount: Combine 3 or more eligible products with us and you could qualify for a 15% Multi-Policy Discount. Eligible policies are Suncorp Home, Contents, Landlord, Car, Motorcycle, Caravan (including trailer), Motorhome and Boat. Suncorp Qld CTP Insurance counts as an eligible policy, but it cannot be discounted due to government regulations. Refer to the relevant motor or home Additional Information Guide for more details. Discounts do not apply to Suncorp Roadside Assist, Suncorp Insurance Home Assist and Excess-free Glass optional covers. View full terms and conditions.

* You must be the first registered owner and your car must have been continuously insured under Suncorp Comprehensive Advantages cover from within 13 months of purchase until the time of total loss. A replacement car of similar make and model must be available.

Insurance issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as Suncorp Insurance. Read the Product Disclosure Statement before buying this insurance. Target Market Determination also available. This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.

The information is intended to be of general nature only. Subject to any rights you may have under any law, we do not accept any legal responsibility for any loss or damage, including loss of business or profits or any other indirect loss, incurred as a result of reliance upon the information. Please make your own enquiries.