My car

Do I need CTP Insurance for my motorcycle?

23 August 2021

You’ve got the chic leather jacket, the protective helmet and goggles, and of course, the shiny new motorbike. But you’ll need to ensure your motorcycle is registered and is covered by CTP insurance before you take it out on the road. 

What is CTP Insurance?

Get a quote online

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance is attached to the registration of your vehicle and provides protection to the at-fault driver against compensation claims from people injured in a motor vehicle accident.

In Queensland, every motorcycle must have CTP insurance. When registering a vehicle or renewing your vehicle registration in Queensland, you’ll have the option to select one of four CTP insurers.

If you’re buying a new motorcycle, your motorcycle dealer can usually arrange rego and CTP insurance for you. But remember, you have the right to choose your preferred CTP provider.

Suncorp Insurance is Queensland's largest CTP insurer, and offers a multi-policy discount when you hold three or more eligible policies with us*.

Who does CTP cover?

In Queensland, CTP Insurance covers your liability for injuring others in an accident while you're riding your motorcycle. So, if anyone other than you is injured or dies — whether it's other drivers or motorcyclists, your pillion passenger or passengers in other cars, pedestrians or cyclists — CTP helps take care of their compensation claims.

Other insurance requirements

It’s important to note that CTP doesn’t cover the cost of damaged vehicles and property, or damage to — or loss of — your own motorbike following an accident.

To get cover for your motorbike, you may want to consider one of our levels of Motorcycle Insurance cover. These are:

  • Comprehensive
  • Fire, Theft, and Third Party Property Damage, and
  • Third Party Property Damage.

Explore Motorcycle Insurance

Do I need conditional registration for my motorcycle?

You may require conditional registration, depending on what you use your motorbike for.

In Queensland, conditional registration is for vehicles that don’t comply with standard regulations for registration and need limited access to roads. This can include off-road motorbikes and trike/quad bikes for agricultural and recreational purposes. You can find out more about Conditional Registration on the Queensland Government website.

For more Motorcycle Insurance topics, make sure to have a look at the frequently asked questions about Motorcycle Insurance.

Read more: 

*15% Multi Policy Discount: Combine 3 or more eligible products with us and you could qualify for a 15% Multi-Policy Discount. Eligible policies are Suncorp Home, Contents, Landlord, Car, Motorcycle, Caravan (including trailer), Motorhome and Boat. Suncorp Qld CTP Insurance counts as an eligible policy, but it cannot be discounted due to government regulations. Refer to the relevant motor or home Additional Information Guide for more details. Discounts do not apply to Suncorp Roadside Assist, Suncorp Insurance Home Assist and Excess-free Glass optional covers. View full terms and conditions.

Insurance is issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as Suncorp Insurance. Read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before buying this insurance. Target Market Determination also available. This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.