Maintaining a home
Mobile phone insurance: What’s covered if you lose or break your smartphone
25 July 2023
Losing or breaking a mobile phone is definitely something we all want to avoid. And yet according to a recent study, Aussies lose an estimated 1370 smartphones each day. This ends up costing around $755 million in replacement devices per year.1
Having cover on your smartphone could help you avoid a costly and inconvenient experience.
What’s covered with mobile phone insurance?
Not all policies cover the same things. But with Suncorp Insurance, if you have insurance cover for your mobile phone and meet the claim criteria, you may be able to claim if your phone is:
- lost or stolen
- damaged and can be repaired, or
- beyond repair and needs replacing.
How to cover your mobile phone with Suncorp Insurance
With Suncorp Insurance, a mobile phone can be insured as part of your Home and Contents Insurance or Contents Only Insurance policy. It’s an optional extra you can add to your policy called ‘Personal Valuables’ – which includes some of the valuables you’re likely to take with you when you leave the house, such as:
- mobile phones, laptops, and tablets
- jewellery and watches, and
- bicycles – as long as they are not used for racing or pace-making.
If you have personal valuables cover, the items will be insured for loss or damage anywhere in Australia and New Zealand.
Jewellery and watches are even covered for up to 30 days anywhere in the world – but only while being worn by you or while in a secure safe.
Limits and exclusions apply – so read the PDS for the full details.
Should I insure my mobile phone as a specified or unspecified portable valuable?
It depends on the value of your items. Unspecified portable valuables cover has an item limit of $1,000. So if your smartphone is worth $1,800 and you make a claim, the most you can be paid is $1,000 – less any excess, fees, or charges.
If you choose to specify the item – by providing specific details of the make, model, and value – you can insure it for the full amount. This means that the $1,800 smartphone would be covered for the full amount – less any excess, fees, or charges.
What happens if I need to claim for my lost or damaged mobile phone?
- Have your policy number and details of the event ready. It will also help us settle your claim as quickly as possible if you can provide evidence of ownership or a repair quote for your mobile phone.
- Lodge and track your claim at any time, 24/7. Then one of our claims specialists will review your proof of ownership, repair quote and any other documents you provide.
- If your claim is accepted, we’ll follow up with you to arrange the appropriate fulfillment of your claim, such as replacement or settlement and ensure you’re happy with the outcome.
We make it as easy as possible to help you when it comes to claim time. Not a Suncorp Insurance customer yet? Learn more about our Home & Contents Insurance options below.
- How to insure your engagement ring
- 5 common incidents where Personal Valuables insurance can help
- Can I make a claim without receipts?
This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.
The information is intended to be of general nature only. Subject to any rights you may have under any law, we do not accept any legal responsibility for any loss or damage, including loss of business or profits or any other indirect loss, incurred as a result of reliance upon the information. Please make your own enquiries.