MAINTAINING A HOME
Does your home insurance cover blocked gutters?
18 June 2019
When it comes to home maintenance, your roof gutters may not be at the top of your list. But falling autumn leaves and heavy winter rains can combine to damage your house (and your hip pocket). It’s good to know what you’re covered for when it comes to damage to your home.
Why its important to clean gutters
Blockages in your gutters caused by falling leaves and debris can lead to permanent rot and corrosion. Before long, you could be battling leaks, cracks, moisture and dampness in the ceiling. In some extreme cases, internal roofing can collapse.
So, to save you the hassle and expense of repairs, it’s important to get into the regular habit of maintaining your property’s roofing, gutters and down pipes.
Are you covered for damage caused by blocked gutters?
With Suncorp Home Insurance your property is covered for a range of insured events, including water damage.
What you're not covered for
Your home is not covered from damages caused by blocked gutters when:
an escape of liquid happens as a result of a gradual process of leaking, splashing, dripping or overflowing over a period of time when you haven’t taken appropriate measures to fix the issue, or
any wear and tear happens to your gutters that causes damages your home. Most gutters have a limited lifespan. Therefore, they might need repairing or replacing. Doing this can help to prevent problems and give you a strong basis if you had to make a claim for damages to your home.
What you're covered for
Suncorp Home Insurance covers property damage caused by water that’s leaking, overflowing or bursting from drains, fixed pipes, roof gutters or guttering and rainwater down pipes, drainage and sewage systems.
If something unexpected happens such as storm damage on the roof, or heavy winds knock over a tree or branch causing damage to your roof, then you may be covered for the insured event.
Tips for keeping your gutters clean
To avoid nasty surprises from your gutters and pipes, put 'cleaning your gutters' at the top of your to-do list.
Here's a few tips for gutter maintenance:
- If you’re not comfortable doing it yourself, it pays to find a handyman to help with your gutter maintenance.
- Ensure you've got the right equipment for the job. Get your bucket, gloves, ladder and accessories ready to go. Position your ladder correctly. Stand on the bottom step of the ladder with both feet securely on the rung to test the safety of your climb. Remember to always put your safety above the job at hand.
- Free your gutters and down pipes from blockage. This is a good time to check your roofing for small holes and leaks – if you spot any, it can be a tough task to DIY yourself, so you might call in the experts.
- Consider installing gutter guards to stop debris building up and improve the flow of water through the gutters.
Protect your property with home and contents insurance cover
Your home is one of your most valuable possessions. It makes sense to cover it against risks, from fire and theft through to things like burst pipes or leaking ceilings.
Rather than risk any problems to your home, get in touch with a Suncorp team member who can help you find suitable cover and ensure you’re fully secure in your home.
- What can a handyman can do for me?
- How to protect your home from wild weather
- The most common types of Home Contents Insurance claims
Information is intended to be of a general nature only and any advice has been prepared without taking into account any person's particular objectives, financial situation or needs. You should make your own enquiries, consider whether advice is appropriate for you and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement or Product Information Document before making any decisions about whether to acquire a product.