MAINTAINING A HOME
Does your home insurance cover blocked gutters?
18 June 2019
When it comes to home maintenance, your roof gutters may not be at the top of your list. But falling autumn leaves and heavy winter rains can combine to damage your house (and your hip pocket). It’s good to know what you’re covered for when it comes to damage to your home.
Why its important to clean gutters
Blockages in your gutters caused by falling leaves and debris can lead to permanent rot and corrosion. Before long, you could be battling leaks, cracks, moisture and dampness in the ceiling. In some extreme cases, internal roofing can collapse.
So, to save you the hassle and expense of repairs, it’s important to get into the regular habit of maintaining your property’s roofing, gutters and down pipes.
Are you covered for damage caused by blocked gutters?
Suncorp Home Insurance does not cover damage caused by blocked gutters.
Tips for keeping your gutters clean
To avoid nasty surprises from your gutters and pipes, put 'cleaning your gutters' at the top of your to-do list.
Here's a few tips for gutter maintenance:
- If you’re not comfortable doing it yourself, it pays to find a handyman to help with your gutter maintenance.
- Ensure you've got the right equipment for the job. Get your bucket, gloves, ladder and accessories ready to go. Position your ladder correctly. Stand on the bottom step of the ladder with both feet securely on the rung to test the safety of your climb. Remember to always put your safety above the job at hand.
- Free your gutters and down pipes from blockage. This is a good time to check your roofing for small holes and leaks – if you spot any, it can be a tough task to DIY yourself, so you might call in the experts.
- Consider installing gutter guards to stop debris building up and improve the flow of water through the gutters.
Protect your property with home and contents insurance cover
Your home is one of your most valuable possessions. It makes sense to cover it against risks, from fire and theft through to things like burst pipes or leaking ceilings.
Rather than risk any problems to your home, get in touch with a Suncorp team member who can help you find suitable cover and ensure you’re fully secure in your home.
- What can a handyman can do for me?
- How to protect your home from wild weather
- The most common types of Home Contents Insurance claims
The information is intended to be of general nature only. Subject to any rights you may have under any law, we do not accept any legal responsibility for any loss or damage, including loss of business or profits or any other indirect loss, incurred as a result of reliance upon the information. Please make your own enquiries.