Does Home Insurance cover pool damage?

26 March 2021

Yes, Suncorp Home Insurance covers spas and swimming pools. And that’s not all! We also cover damage to your property caused by related water leakages.

However, we don’t cover damage caused by anything related to wear and tear — so, remember to keep your home in a reasonably decent condition.

Are all pool types covered?

Yes, both in and above-ground pools, and their accessories, are covered.

In-ground pools

These would be your standard pools and spas built into the ground. Since they’re a fixed part of your property, they’re covered under Building Insurance.

Above-ground pools

Portable spas and those inflatable pools your kids love are all covered under Contents Insurance, or Home and Contents Insurance. A good rule of thumb is that anything you could easily relocate is classified as your contents.


Your pool pumps and other accessories are covered too!

We know pool damage isn’t limited to the pools themselves — sometimes other parts of your home may become damaged in a pool-related incident. That’s why we also cover damage caused by water:

  • leaking,
  • overflowing, or
  • bursting from swimming pools and spas.

 Get a Home Insurance Quote 

What we don’t cover

We don’t cover the electric motor of your swimming pool water pump, unless you have ‘’motor burnout’’ as an optional cover.

We’ll build it back better

We also have a brand spanking new Home Insurance perk — the ‘’build it back better’’ feature.

For no extra cost, we’ll not only build your home back, we’ll build it back more resilient. If you make a claim, we’ll also cover the costs of purchasing and installing resiliency building enhancements. For example, raising external services around the home — including pool pumps — to minimise future flood damage.

However, it’s important to note that this feature is only eligible for customers making a claim where the assessed repair or rebuilding quote is more than $50,000, or 10% of the home sum insured.

Explore Home Insurance 

What about pool houses and furniture?

Pool houses and furniture are covered under Suncorp Building Insurance — just be sure that your sum insured can sufficiently cover both your main house and external buildings. To find out whether your sum insured is adequate, read this.

Unsure what type of Home Insurance covers what? A good tip is to remember that any fixed outdoor structures or fittings — think gazebos secured to the ground, or solar panels — are covered under Building Insurance.

Portable outdoor items, like furniture and sculptures, are covered under Contents Insurance.

If you want a policy that covers both, Suncorp Home and Contents Insurance is a good bet.

Am I also covered for any legal liability?

Yes! Most people think Home Insurance only covers damage to your home and property, but we cover ‘damage to people’ too — and by ‘’people’’ we mean visitors who don’t live on your property, as well as their belongings.* So, if a guest slips near your pool — or is injured anywhere on your property — we’ll cover your legal liability with up to $20 million in legal, medical, and related costs.

However, it’s important to know that legal liability cover doesn’t apply if the injury was caused by general wear and tear, defects, or a failure to comply with building laws (for example, not having proper pool fences). Remember, it’s still your responsibility to keep your home safe and well maintained.

Get a Home Insurance Quote 

Read more:


* This example assumes your claim was not otherwise excluded by your policy.

Insurance is issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as Suncorp Insurance. Consider the Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision about this insurance. This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.