Buying a car
How do I insure my dirt bike?
18 January 2021
Heading off road? If you’re a dirt bike enthusiast, having the right insurance means you know you’re covered if you’re affected by an insured event.
What level of cover do I need?
When considering Motorcycle Insurance for your dirt bike, it’s important to understand how much cover you’ll need.
The level of insurance that’s right for you will depend on the way you intend to use your bike. Suncorp offers three levels of Motorcycle Insurance cover: Comprehensive, Fire, Theft & Third Party Property Damage and Third Party Property Damage.
If you plan to use your bike off-road and on, you might benefit from having Comprehensive coverage. However, if you’re only using it in controlled environments, a less extensive policy might be more appropriate.
Comprehensive Motorcycle Insurance is our highest level of coverage. It includes cover for:
- your liability for loss or damage to another person’s vehicle or property
- accidental loss or damage to your dirt bike for insured events, such as collision and impact, flood and theft
- 2 year new motorcycle replacement following a write-off or theft*, and
- cover for your riding gear if it’s stolen or damaged up to a total of $1,000.
Third Party Property Damage
Third Party Property Damage Motorcycle Insurance is our most basic policy. It covers your liability for damage you cause to other people’s vehicles and property. If you think you’d benefit from extra coverage, consider Comprehensive or Fire, Theft & Third Party Property Damage Motorcycle Insurance.
Fire, Theft & Third Party Property Damage
This includes the same features as Third Party Property Damage, with added cover for accidental loss or damage caused by fire and theft.
How we calculate your premium
A premium is the amount you pay your insurance provider for a policy. Most insurers, like Suncorp, calculate your premium by taking into account a range of factors that include:
- the cover you choose
- the likelihood of you making a claim
- your age, driving experience and location, and
- other fees, costs or applicable discounts.
You’ll find the amount you’ll pay for your premium listed on your certificate of insurance.
Ways to save on Motorcycle Insurance
- Store your bike securely. It’s important to think about where you’ll park your bike. If you’re able to keep it in a garage or other kind of secured space, you may pay less for your premium because your bike is less likely to be stolen.
- Be a safe driver. Driving safely is a sure-fire way to reduce your Comprehensive Motorcycle Insurance premium. If you do, you might be able to take advantage of a no claim bonus, which rewards you for only needing to claim for incidents where you weren’t at fault. For more info, take a look at our guide to Premiums, Excesses, Discounts and Claim Payments.
- Take advantage of Suncorp’s multi-policy discount. When you take out three or more eligible insurance policies with us, we’ll give you a 15% multi policy discount.
- Who makes the most motorcycle insurance claims?
- Signs of tyre wear and tear and what it means
- What to expect when planning a road trip
* A 'write off' is when we decide that your motorcycle is uneconomical, impractical or unsafe to repair. We call this a 'total loss' in the PDS. If your motorcycle is stolen and unrecovered after 14 days or a write off, is less than 2 years old and you're the first registered owner, we'll cover the cost to replace it with a new one of the same or similar make and model. Eligible customers only.
Insurance is issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as Suncorp Insurance. Consider the Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision about this insurance. This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.