my car

What can I claim if I’m injured in a car accident?

19 December 2023

  • You may be able to receive compensation if you’ve been injured in a car accident in Queensland and you weren’t at fault or were partially at fault.
  • The type of compensation will depend on your circumstances. It can include medical bills for treatment and rehabilitation, pain and suffering, as well as loss of income.
  • If you want to find out what compensation you’re entitled to, you can speak to our CTP Claims Concierge by calling 13 11 60.

It’s best to lodge your CTP claim as soon as possible to begin your treatment and rehabilitation. Our CTP Claims Customer Concierge is on hand to provide you with guidance and support to lodge your claim.

We’re local, depending on your location we can even meet with you in person to discuss your claim. We can help identify the at-fault driver’s CTP insurer even if they’re not with Suncorp Insurance.

Make a personal injury claim

Treatment and rehabilitation expenses

Your recovery is our top priority. After you lodge your claim, we will work with your doctor to provide reasonable and appropriate rehabilitation and reimburse costs.

These could include:

  • hospital care
  • medical treatment
  • medications
  • transport costs
  • domestic services – such as gardening, cooking, or cleaning
  • physiotherapy, and 
  • other costs.

Some lawyers might tell you that insurers will close claims to stop payments – you don’t need to worry. We will make sure your payout covers reasonable and appropriate future treatment and care requirements related to your accident. You may also be able to claim for travel expenses to medical treatments and appointments.

According to the Motor Accident Insurance Commission (MAIC), most CTP claims are usually whiplash.1 However, the severity and exact location of the injuries will vary from case to case.

Claiming directly with Suncorp Insurance leads to faster lodgement, which usually means faster access to treatment and rehabilitation to help you return sooner to a healthy life. Call us on 13 11 60 and we’ll help you to find the best treatment providers of your choice.

General damages

General damages (otherwise known as pain and suffering) are to compensate you for the pain, suffering and loss of amenities you have experienced and may continue to experience due to your injuries.

Your payout is based on your doctor’s medical assessment, which is used to calculate the severity of your injuries (Injury Scale Value) and the appropriate general damages.

Our experienced Personal Injury Claims Specialists will help you understand your entitlement for general damages.

Loss of income

If your ability to work or earn a living has been affected by your injuries, you may be able to claim compensation for loss of:

  • income
  • opportunity – such as overtime, promotions, or new jobs, and
  • superannuation benefits.

We will help you to gather all relevant information to assess your claim such as payslips, tax returns or an employer’s letter.

Gratuitous care

The lives of family members and friends may also be impacted if you’re injured in a car accident. Gratuitous care refers to domestic work usually done at no cost by a friend or family member – such as cleaning, cooking, or gardening.

You can only claim the care that is necessary and directly provided as a result of the accident and in some cases care may not be recoverable due to legislation. Your Personal Injury Claims Specialist will be able to discuss this with you.

Loss of consortium

In some cases, the car accident may have a significant impact on your personal relationships. If your partner was significantly injured in a car accident, you may be able to apply for loss of consortium. This refers to the loss or impairment of love, companionship or affection from a spouse or family member.

Fatal injury compensation

In the tragic event that a car accident results in a death, relatives or a dependent person of the deceased may be entitled to compensation for reasonable funeral expenses and loss of financial support.

How to make a personal injury claim

Simply call 13 11 60 and speak to our friendly CTP Claims Concierge. We’re here from 8:30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, or you can request a call back at a time convenient for you.
We can help identify the insurer of the vehicle at fault, assist in completing the right claim form and get your claim lodged quickly.

Call Suncorp Insurance to make a personal injury claim

What happens if I’m the at-fault driver and I’m also injured?

CTP Insurance will only cover parties deemed not at fault in an accident, so you would not be able to claim through the CTP Insurer.

However, if you were at fault and have been seriously injured in a motor accident in QLD, you may be able to receive necessary and reasonable care and treatment through the National Injury Insurance Scheme (NIISQ).

Do I need an accident lawyer to claim for a personal injury claim?

No, you don’t need a lawyer to lodge a claim. In Queensland, a lawyer acting on a 'no win no fee' basis can charge up to 50% of your compensation*. By dealing directly through Suncorp Insurance, 100% of your compensation* is paid to you.

Most car accident injury claims can be resolved quickly and easily dealing directly through the insurer – in FY23 Queensland, CTP insurance claims made directly with the insurer were resolved on average more than three times faster than legally represented claims.1

Suncorp Insurance is Queensland’s first and largest CTP insurer covering over two million vehicles. Our team of personal injury claims specialists understand injury and work directly with you and your healthcare providers to ensure you receive personalised care and support. Call Suncorp Insurance on 13 11 60.

Not happy with your lawyer?

You can switch at any time. Give us a call on 13 11 60.

Catastrophic injuries

Sometimes a car accident can result in catastrophic injuries. Suncorp Insurance recognises that individuals who have suffered catastrophic injuries in a car accident have claims that may benefit from legal advice.

Read more:

1 Motor Accident Insurance Commission

*Your ‘compensation’ means your damages plus that part of your legal costs payable by the Insurer less the total of the applicable statutory refunds (e.g. to Medicare) and disbursements (e.g. fees for medical reports). If you deal directly with the insurer, you are not likely to have legal costs that may or may not be reimbursed by the insurer.

Insurance issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as Suncorp Insurance. Read the Product Disclosure Statement before buying this insurance. Go to for a copy. The Target Market Determination is also available.

The information is intended to be of general nature only. Subject to any rights you may have under any law, we do not accept any legal responsibility for any loss or damage, including loss of business or profits or any other indirect loss, incurred as a result of reliance upon the information. Please make your own enquiries.