Can I get life insurance without a medical exam?
11 September 2023
At Suncorp Insurance, we know that should the worst happen you want to ensure your loved ones are taken care of financially. Life insurance, also known as term life insurance, can do just this. Life insurance provides a lump sum payment in the event of your death or following the diagnosis of terminal illness with a life expectancy of less than 12 months.
What’s great about Suncorp Life Insurance, is we make the application process for life insurance simple. Unlike other insurers you don’t need to have a medical exam or attend a doctor’s appointment to apply for life insurance.
We offer a range of life insurance products, with Suncorp Life Protect Insurance providing a lump sum benefit of up to $1.5m and you could receive your payout early if you’re diagnosed with a terminal illness.
Understanding the underwriting process
When you apply for life insurance, we begin a process called underwriting. This involves us asking questions about your personal circumstances, including your health and medical history, occupation, income, lifestyle, and current and past insurance. We will also ask whether or not you have a pre-existing condition.
This information gives us the ability to decide whether we can cover you, the appropriate cover amounts we can offer, and what premium applies.
It’s important to be honest when answering these questions. As an applicant, you have a duty to avoid misrepresenting yourself, which can include giving false, partially true, or misleading answers. This can result in the policy being voided or amended, or your claim being denied or paid out at a reduced amount.
Exploring life insurance options without medical exam
Applying for Suncorp life insurance is a relatively straightforward process, However, there are a few essential steps you can take when comparing life insurance policies to find a policy that works for you and your loved ones.
- Research insurance companies: you can start by searching online for companies that offer no medical exam life insurance options
- Compare policy options: It helps to do a bit of research. Compare the policies offered and find one that meets your and you loved ones needs best. Consider factors such as coverage amount, premium amount, and policy terms.
You may also wish to compare life insurance options that have been arranged through other financial services, such as life insurance through your superannuation. This type of insurance may be available with no medical exam, but it’s important to double check that the level of cover you’re getting suits your requirements.
- Review the policy details: Before making a decision, read the policy details carefully to understand what is covered and what is not covered - A bit like any other insurance policy you take out. Make sure you understand the policy's terms and conditions.
- Get a quote: Compare quotes to find the policy that meets your needs based on your specific needs.
- Apply for coverage: After selecting a policy, you need to complete and submit an application. Depending on which policy you've chosen, you may be asked to answer some medical questions as part of the application process. With Suncorp Insurance, you won’t need to undergo a medical examination.
Tips for finding the right life insurance policy without medical exam
When comparing different types of life insurance, it’s important to consider the risks you would like to cover. Everyone and their families have different lifestyle and financial requirements, so the right life insurance offer for one person may not suit another.
To find the right life insurance policy for you, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you have children or loved ones you need to provide for, even after you’ve passed?
- Does your family rely on your income to pay household bills and manage day to day expenses, or do you have other sources of income, such as investments, rental properties, shares or superannuation?
- If you were diagnosed with a terminal illness or you passed away, would your loved ones be able to continue with their lifestyle without impact?
- Do you have a pre-existing health condition or medical issues to consider?
- 5 myths about life insurance
- What to look for in a life insurance policy?
- What’s the difference between life and health insurance?
Suncorp Life Insurance products, other than in some circumstances the Redundancy Benefit, are provided by TAL Life Limited ABN 70 050 109 450 AFSL 237848 (TAL Life) which is part of the TAL Dai-ichi Life Australia Pty Limited ABN 97 150 070 483 group of companies (TAL). TAL Life is part of the TAL Dai-ichi Life Australia Pty Limited ABN 97 150 070 483 group of companies (TAL). TAL companies are not part of the Suncorp Group. TAL companies use the Suncorp brand under license.
Any advice on this page in connection with the Life products is general in nature and is provided by Platform Ventures Pty Ltd ABN 35 626 745 177 AFS Representative Number 001266101 (PV). PV is part of the Suncorp Group and an authorised representative of TAL Direct Pty Limited ABN 39 084 666 017, AFSL 243260 (TAL Direct). General advice does not take into account your individual needs, objectives or financial situation. Before you decide to buy or to continue to hold a Life Products you must read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement.