Your browser version is no longer supported, so you may experience issues while using this site.
Please upgrade to a current browser to enjoy the best experience.


Does your home insurance cover water damage?

14 July 2021

Suncorp’s Home and Contents Insurance will cover you for damage or loss caused by a water leak, or an escape of liquid, if it’s accidental or sudden. This includes liquid bursting, leaking or overflowing from the appliances, fixtures or plumbing in your house.

Water damage is fairly common. In fact, it’s involved in roughly 17% of Suncorp's Home Insurance claims! Though some incidents are unavoidable, having the right level of Home and Contents Insurance can help to make sure you’re prepared.

What does home insurance cover?

Suncorp’s Home and Contents Insurance covers loss or damage caused by leaking, overflowing or bursting water from:

  • appliances including refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers and washing machines
  • drains, fixed pipes, guttering and rainwater downpipes, drainage and sewage systems
  • fixed tanks, swimming pools or spas and waterbeds
  • baths, sinks, toilets and basins
  • fixed heating or cooling systems
  • water mains, fire hydrants or water supply pipes, and
  • aquariums.

It might also cover gas appliances permanently plumbed to a gas supply.

We also have a brand spanking new Build it Back Better feature – if you’re eligible, we won’t just repair or rebuild your home after an insured event. We’ll provide you with a range of options to choose from to build it back more resilient. With resiliency building enhancements, we aim to help give your home an extra line of defence against severe weather.*

Get a Home and Contents Insurance Quote 

Our Build it Back Better feature is only available when:

  • The assessed repair or rebuilding quote is more than $50,000 or 10% of the home sum insured, whichever is higher.
  • An authorised member of our supplier network can undertake the work.
  • The home doesn’t already have resiliency building enhancements.

It’s also up to you to keep your appliances and plumbing in a reasonable condition —you might not be covered if the water damage is caused by a leak you could reasonably have been aware of.

For full details, read the PDS. 

Water damage caused by flooding and storms

Cover for flood damage is included with every level of Suncorp Home and Contents Insurance (except within the first 72 hours of taking out a new policy).

We define “flood” as the covering of normally dry land by water that has escaped or been released from the confines of a lake, river, creek, reservoir, canal or dam.

For more info, check out our essential flood checklist.

We also cover loss or damage caused by a storm. This may include water damage sustained due to heavy rain.

Explore Home And Contents Insurance

How to check for water damage

Look out for leaks

This won’t take long and can save you a big headache down the track. Whether you’re in the kitchen, bathroom or toilet, take a few minutes to check tap fittings and pipes at their base, and inspect any walls, floors and ceilings for signs of water damage and mould. If you find a fault or you’re unsure about something, speak to a licensed plumber about what to do next.

Find A Plumber

Inspect flexi hoses

Flexi hoses come installed in many Australian homes. They’re the plumbing connection from the water main to major household items like sinks and toilets. If they’re not correctly installed or maintained, flexi hoses may leak or burst which can leave your bathroom, laundry and kitchen areas flooded.

Check for wear and tear such as discolouration, exposed rubber lining or the braid being separated or splintered. If you think yours need replacing, it’s worth getting a licensed plumber to install them. This is more likely to safeguard your home against unexpected water damage.

Turn off the water mains when you’re going away

A leak can easily happen when you’re away. When your pipes aren’t being used regularly, pressure may build up and this could cause them to burst.

That’s why turning off your mains water supply can help prevent any water damage. You’ll need to locate your shutoff valve, which is often beside the water meter, or in places such as the basement or garage. Read our tips to avoid water damage while you’re away on holiday.

How to claim for water damage

Lodging a claim with Suncorp is easy! All you need is:

  • your policy number
  • details about when the event occurred and what happened
  • any photos or documents related to the claim, and
  • if you’re claiming for damaged electrical items, details about the make and model.

Use the Suncorp App

You can use the Suncorp App on both Apple and Android devices. Upload photos of the damage on your phone and include the event’s details and track your claim from start to finish.

Lodge the claim online

It only takes 10 minutes to lodge a claim online. And you can upload photos and documents, which progresses your claim quickly.

During your claims assessment, a claims assessor may contact you to arrange a time and day to visit your home and inspect the damages, and provide a detailed report with photos with the outcome for review.

If you have any questions, get in touch with our knowledgable insurance specialists today on 13 22 44.

Read more:

*Conditions apply. For full details, refer to the PDS.

Insurance is issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as Suncorp Insurance. Consider the Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision about this insurance. This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.

Escape of liquid

This covers the sudden liquid leaking, overflowing or bursting from things like your fridge, washing machine, bath, toilet, fixed pipes (except agricultural pipes), gutters, swimming pool, water main, fixed cooling system or an aquarium.

We don’t cover damage caused by wear and tear or the gradual leaking of liquid when you’d be reasonably expected to be aware of the condition.