Riot, civil commotion, or public disturbance


We’ve all witnessed scenes on the news of rioters destroying property. Here is more information on when you will and will not be covered for loss or damage to your home and contents caused by riot, civil commotion, or public disturbance.

What policy covers riot, commotion, or public disturbance?



Classic Extras


Classic Advantages


What’s covered

If loss or damage to your home or contents is caused by riot, civil commotion or public disturbance, you can lodge a claim. An example of this would be if the loss or damage were caused by a violent crowd moving down the street.

What’s not covered?

There are instances where you will not be covered. These include when the loss or damage is caused:

  • by someone who lives or is staying at the insured address;
  • by someone who was allowed entry into the insured address by someone living or staying at the address;
  • or, with the consent of someone with your authority, allow them access to the insured address.

You can find more information on this and other policy coverage in the Product Disclosure Statement.