Motor Burnout (contents)

With most things around your home, when they’re working, you probably don’t notice them. But when they aren’t, they can have quite an impact. Motor burnout is high on the list. That’s why knowing if and when you’re covered for Motor Burnout (contents) is essential.

What policy covers Motor Burnout (contents)?


It’s optional

Classic Extras

It’s covered

Classic Advantages

It’s covered

What’s excellent about Motor Burnout cover (contents) is that you can lodge a claim for it, even if a specified insured event hasn’t occurred. Just know that a Motor Burnout Excess of $100 applies in the event of a claim, not the standard contents excess.

Should your claim be approved, we'll cover reasonable costs to repair or replace the electric motor or equivalent motor, which are part of the contents. The limit is paid in addition to the contents sum insured.

What’s covered

We cover the burning out or fusing of any electric motors that happen in the period of insurance in household equipment or appliances that are part of your contents and where the motor is equal to or less than 10 years old.

Coverage includes the cost to repair or replace:

  • the electric motor or compressor containing the motor;
  • an entire sealed unit, filter, dryer and re-gassing if the electric motor is inside a sealed refrigeration or air conditioning unit;
  • a swimming pool water pump, combined with its electric motor, if the replacement pump motor cannot be bought independently.

Better still, we will engage a member of our supplier network to review your quote and/or inspect the motor. This way, they can determine if it can be repaired or replaced.

What’s not covered

There are some instances where you will not be covered. These include the following:

  • the cost of extracting or reinstalling a submersible pump;
  • any amount you can recover under a manufacturer’s guarantee or warranty;
  • loss or damage to motors forming part of equipment appliance used in conjunction with your trade, business activity or occupation;
  • loss or damage to a refrigerator or freezer caused by spoiled food (unless optional cover is taken).

You can read more about this coverage and other exclusions in the Product Disclosure Statement.