Suncorp support for North Queensland
6 February 2019
Suncorp is confirming with its insurance customers in North Queensland, that their Suncorp home insurance policies will cover them for damage caused by the recent floods.
This comes in response to queries on whether the release of water from the Ross River Dam would put traditional flood status in question. This is not the case, and a ‘flood is a flood’ is the stance Suncorp will take with all home insurance claims.
From today, Suncorp customers can also access our specialty claims team who are on the ground and ready to help. The Customer Support Team can be found at:
- The Townsville Stadium, Murray Lyons Cres, Annandale, 9am to 5pm
- Suncorp Store - Stockland Aitkenvale, Shop 130/131, 310 Ross River Road, Townsville, 2pm to 4.30pm
- Suncorp Store – Willows Shopping Centre, 79A Thuringowa Drive, Townsville, 2pm to 4.30pm
Customers don’t need to have a copy of their policy to lodge your claim – we will have all their details on file.
Our teams can also help with organising temporary accommodation, they can provide cash payments to make emergency purchases, and will answer any insurance questions.
Importantly, when returning to your home, we’re encouraging everyone to please take every safety precaution. Your safety, and the safety of your loved ones, must be your number one priority.
- Ensure that electricity and gas supplies are switched off before you enter the home.
- Do your best to dry out your property by keeping it ventilated.
- Get wet contents out of the house, make a list of damaged items and take photos of them.
Preparing for your claims:
- Record model and serial numbers of any damaged goods, along with photos of each item, to help us replace them before throwing them away.
- Throw spoiled food away – do not wait for an assessor to come to your home – again, take photos.
- If your carpet is flood damaged, please rip it up and take it outside, and keep a sample of it to help us replace it.
- An opportunity to defer scheduled loan repayments (including interest only) on a case-by-case basis.
- Existing loan rearranging (for example, principal and interest to interest only) with the waiver of establishment fees.
- Waive early withdrawal fees for customers wishing to withdraw from term deposits and/or Farm Management Deposits.
- Refund of merchant rental fees for a period.
- Credit card repayment relief where necessary.
- Increasing emergency credit card limits.
- Working capital assistance.
- No interest rate increases.
Our home claims process for North Queensland floods
Suncorp and our building partners, are working together to help you get back into your home in the shortest possible time.
The following stages help explain what you can expect to see throughout this claims process.
1. Returning home
Once its safe for you to return to your home, we’ve got you covered.
The valuables you have rescued from your home, if they are unaffected by water, can be kept in a container we will provide on site.
If you have any wet items in your home, you can help the recovery process by removing them and making a list of your damaged items.
Remember to take photos of anything you remove from your home prior to us attending.
2. Beginning the clean up
Making it safe
Electricity will be turned off to keep you safe and enable our team to begin the clearing process.
We will begin clearing the wet elements from your home, removing wet carpets and floating floor material together with mud and remaining flood water.
To aid in the natural drying of your home, if deemed necessary, our authorised repairers may drill holes along the floor on all internal walls.
3. Assessing the damage
You will meet our team on site consisting of Assessor and Builder.
Together, we will walk through your home to assess the damage and determine what can be saved.
And the end of the process, we will provide you with a scope of work and building repair value for your consideration.
4. Preparing for repair
When you have agreed to the scope of work, our team will begin preparing your home for repair.
Your home will have the water affected elements removed, supporting the natural drying process, which will take time.
Finally, to ensure your home is clean, we will sanitise walls, floors and wall cavities.
5. Returning home
Moving back in
You will be able to move back home once our team have completed repairs.
We will keep you up to date on progress.
We are with you from start to finish, and your dedicated Client Manager is available to help answer your questions.