Can I get my superannuation early?
No, generally not. To give your super time to grow, the funds are ‘preserved’ throughout your working life. This means that usually you can’t get access to your super until you retire.
However, there are some exceptional circumstances under which you may be able to get early access to your super, including:
- as part of the First home super saver scheme
- becoming disabled (temporarily or permanently)
- terminal illness
- leaving Australia permanently (if an eligible temporary resident)
- severe financial hardship or compassionate grounds
- if you die, in which case your super is released to your valid beneficiaries.