MAINTAINING A HOME
How to apply for the Queensland HomeBuilder grant
21 September 2020
If you’re thinking about building or buying a new home, or you’re planning a substantial home renovation, the government’s HomeBuilder program could be a big boost. HomeBuilder provides eligible owner-occupier individuals and couples with a $25,000 grant towards their project.*
To learn if you could be eligible for HomeBuilder and how you can use the grant, check out our article “What you need to know about the HomeBuilder grant”. Because it’s only available for a limited time, you’ll want to move quickly to find out if your project meets the requirements – or to plan a new project that does.
Before you apply, organise the information you’ll need
While HomeBuilder is a national program, you apply for this government grant through your home state or territory’s revenue office.
If you think your project ticks all the boxes, it’s a good idea to apply as soon as you have entered into a contract.
As part of your Queensland application, you’ll need to provide information to confirm your eligibility, including:
- your taxable income for either the 2018-19 or 2019-20 financial year (or your combined taxable income if you’re applying as a couple)
- the property details, including your lot and plan number (this information is usually available from your local council or from the property developer)
- if building a new home, the total value of the contract and the value of the vacant land the home will be built on
- if renovating, the total value of the contract and the total value of your existing property (house and land) before you commence the renovation
- if buying a new or off-the-plan home, the total value of the property under the sales contract
- the date of the contract
- the planned date of the construction commencement
- the builder’s name and registration or licence number.
Queenslanders can apply for the grant online
You can get complete information about the HomeBuilder program and apply at the state’s HomeBuilder grant information hub. You’ll want to move quickly to get your project planned and contracts signed. Applications must be submitted by December 31, 2020.
After submitting your application, you have until October 31, 2022 to supply the supporting evidence required, including photo ID, copies of contracts and other documents. For more information about required documents, visit:
When it comes to organising finance, we can help every step of the way
Our experienced team are happy to answer all your questions. Get in touch via our enquiry form and we’ll call you within 24 hours. Our home loan experts can help you understand how financing can work for home construction and major renovation projects, as well as new home purchases, and there’s absolutely no obligation.
- What you need to know about the HomeBuilder grant
- Everything you need to know about construction loans
- Everything you need to know about the First Home Owners Grant in your state
*Information current as of September 21, 2020. Eligibility terms and conditions apply and may change. Please make your own enquiries to confirm eligibility and application requirements.
Home Loans and Personal Loans are provided by Suncorp-Metway Ltd ABN 66 010 831 722 AFSL No. 229882 Australian Credit Licence 229882 (“Suncorp Bank”) to approved applicants only. Fees, charges, terms and conditions apply and are available on request. Please read the relevant Product Information Document before making any decision about a product. Contact us for a copy.
The information is intended to be of a general nature only and any advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it. We do not accept any legal responsibility for any loss incurred as a result of reliance upon it – please make your own enquiries
Products and services including banking, superannuation and insurance (including home and car insurance) are provided by separate companies in the Suncorp Group. Each entity is not responsible for, or liable in respect of, products and services provided by other entities of the Suncorp Group. Suncorp Bank (Suncorp-Metway Ltd ABN 66 010 831 722) is only liable for the banking products or services it provides and not the products and services of other companies in the Suncorp Group.