Privacy is important especially when you consider the number of ways we communicate and interact these days. We are committed to our privacy obligations and will conduct our business to ensure the protection of your personal information, including sensitive information.
It is important to understand that our companies provide a wide range of financial services and products and may use and disclose your personal information in different ways.
When you interact with one of our companies (eg. as a customer, involved in a claim, or transacting within the Suncorp App), your personal information will be handled in accordance with each Privacy Statement provided to you in the relevant context. The Privacy Statements can be found at the links below:
- For users that set up a new account in the Suncorp App not connected to an existing brand relationship, and existing customers that interact with certain products and services facilitated or offered through the Suncorp App – see the Suncorp Corporate Services Privacy Statement by clicking here
- For interactions with the AAMI brand, refer to the relevant Privacy Statement by clicking here
- For interactions with the APIA brand, refer to the relevant Privacy Statement by clicking here
- For interactions with the Bingle brand, refer to the relevant Privacy Statement clicking here
- For interactions with the CIL brand, refer to the relevant Privacy Statement clicking here
- For interactions with the GIO brand, refer to the relevant Privacy Statement by clicking here
- For interactions with the Shannons brand, refer to the relevant Privacy Statement clicking here
- For other interactions with the Suncorp brand, refer to the relevant Privacy Statement by clicking here
You may also interact with third parties via the App. Any collection of your personal information by third parties will be subject to their own privacy statements and those third parties are responsible for informing you about their security and privacy practices.
Privacy is Important….especially when you consider the number of ways we communicate and interact these days. That's why we've put together this statement. It explains how we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information and who we share it with.
And because it's guided by privacy laws, you can be sure it takes your rights seriously.
Above all, this statement is your assurance that we never take your privacy for granted and always take the utmost care in protecting your personal information.
Suncorp Corporate Services Pty Ltd is a member of the Suncorp Group, which we'll refer to simply as “the Group”.
Why do we collect personal information?
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. We collect personal information so that we can:
- identify you and conduct appropriate checks;
- understand your requirements and provide you with Suncorp App features and functionality;
- set up, administer and manage products and services facilitated or offered through the Suncorp App; and
- manage complaints and disputes, and report to dispute resolution bodies;
- get a better understanding of you, your needs, your behaviours and how you interact with us, so we can engage in product and service research, development and business strategy including managing the delivery of our services and products via the ways we communicate with you.
What happens if you don't give us your personal information?
If we ask for your personal information and you don't give it to us, we may not be able to provide you with any, some, or all of the features, products or services offered through the Suncorp App.
How we handle your personal information
We collect your personal information directly from you and, in some cases, from other people or organisations. We also provide your personal information to other related companies in the Group, and they may disclose or use your personal information for the purposes described in ‘Why do we collect personal information?' in relation to products and services they may provide to you. They may also use your personal information to help them provide products and services to other customers, but they'll never disclose your personal information to another customer without your consent.
Under various laws, such as the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 and the Australian Securities & Investments Commission Act 2001, we will be (or may be) authorised or required to collect your personal information.
We will use and disclose your personal information for the purposes we collected it as well as purposes that are related, where you would reasonably expect us to. We may disclose your personal information to and/or collect your personal information from:
- any of our Group joint ventures where authorised or required;
- customer, product, business or strategic research and development organisations;
- data warehouse, strategic learning organisations, data partners, analytic consultants;
- social media and other virtual communities and networks where people create, share or exchange information;
- publicly available sources of information;
- clubs, associations, member loyalty or rewards programs and other industry relevant organisations;
- a third party that we’ve contracted to provide services, products or administrative services – for example:
- information technology providers,
- administration or business management services, consultancy firms, auditors and business management consultants,
- marketing agencies and other marketing service providers,
- print/mail/digital service providers, and
- imaging and document management services,
- government, statutory or regulatory bodies and enforcement bodies;
- the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) Australia or any other external dispute resolution body;
- legal and any other professional advisers or consultants; and
- any other organisation or person, where you’ve asked them to provide your personal information to us or asked us to obtain personal information from them, eg your mother.
We’ll use a variety of methods to collect your personal information from, and disclose your personal information to, these persons and organisations, including written forms, telephone calls and via electronic delivery. We may collect and disclose your personal information to these persons and organisations during the information life cycle, regularly, or on an ad hoc basis, depending on the purpose of collection.
Sometimes, we need to provide your personal information to – or get personal information about you from – persons located overseas, for the same purposes as in ‘Why do we collect personal information?'
From time to time, we may need to disclose your personal information to, and collect your personal information from, other countries not on this list. Nevertheless, we will always disclose and collect your personal information in accordance with privacy laws.
Your personal information and our marketing practices
Every now and then, we and any related companies that use the Suncorp brand might let you know – including via mail, SMS, email, telephone, online or via the Suncorp App – about news, special offers, products and services that you might be interested in. We will engage in marketing unless you tell us otherwise. You can contact us to update your marketing preferences at any time.
In order to carry out our direct marketing we collect your personal information from and disclose it to others that provide us with specialised data matching, trending or analytical services, as well as general marketing services (you can see the full list of persons and organisations under ‘How we handle your personal information'). We may also collect your personal information for marketing through competitions and by purchasing contact lists.
We, and other people who provide us with services, may combine the personal information collected from you or others, with the information we, or companies in our Group, or our service providers already hold about you. We may also use online targeted marketing, data and audience matching and market segmentation to improve advertising relevance to you.
How to access and correct your personal information or make a complaint
For more information about our privacy practices including accessing or correcting your personal information, making a complaint, obtaining a list of overseas countries, or giving us your marketing preferences you can:
- Contact 1300 786 277