Suncorp Privacy Statement
Privacy is Important ...
... especially when you consider the number of ways we communicate and interact these days. That's why we've put together this statement. It explains how we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information and who we share it with.
And because it's guided by privacy laws, you can be sure it takes your rights seriously.
Above all, this statement is your assurance that we never take your privacy for granted and always take the utmost care in protecting your personal information.
Suncorp Corporate Services Pty Ltd ABN 69 074 966 466, is a member of the Suncorp Group, which we'll refer to simply as "the Group".
Why do we collect personal information?
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. We collect personal information so that we can:
- understand your requirements and provide you with a product or service;
- set up, administer and manage our products and services, including the management and administration of our products and services;
- assess and investigate any claims or rights exercised by you under one or more of our products or services;
- manage, train and develop our employees and representatives;
- manage complaints and disputes, and report to dispute resolution bodies; and
- get a better understanding of you, your needs, your behaviours and how you interact with us, so we can engage in product and service research, development and business strategy including managing the delivery of our services and products via the ways we communicate with you.
What happens if you don't give us your personal information?
If we ask for your personal information and you don't give it to us, we may not be able to provide you with any, some, or all of the features of our products or services.
How we handle your personal information
We collect your personal information directly from you and, in some cases, from other people or organisations. We also provide your personal information to other related companies in the Group, and they may disclose or use your personal information for the purposes described in Why do we collect personal information?' in relation to products and services they may provide to you. They may also use your personal information to help them provide products and services to other customers, but they'll never disclose your personal information to another customer without your consent.
Under the Privacy Act 1988, the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act, Income Tax Assessment Acts, Tax Administration Act and A New Tax System (Goods and Services Tax) Act, National Consumer Credit Protection Act, Personal Properties Securities Act, and any regulations made under those Acts we may be authorised or required to collect your personal information.
We will use and disclose your personal information for the purposes we collected it as well as purposes that are related, where you would reasonably expect us to. We may disclose your personal information to and/or collect your personal information from:
- other companies within the Group;
- any of our Group joint ventures where authorised or required;
- any entity where disclosure to, or collection from, such entity is required or authorised by law;
- customer, product, business or strategic research and development organisations;
- data warehouse, strategic learning organisations, data partners, analytic consultants;
- social media and other virtual communities and networks where people create, share or exchange information;
- publicly available sources of information;
- clubs, associations, member loyalty or rewards programs and other industry relevant organisations;
- a third party that we've contracted to provide any other products or services, including the systems they use to provide support to you;
- government, statutory or regulatory bodies and enforcement bodies;
- the Financial Ombudsman Service and the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal or any other external dispute resolution body;
- legal and any other professional advisers or consultantsany other organisation or person, where you've asked them to provide your personal information to us or asked us to obtain personal information from them, e.g. your conveyancer.
We'll use a variety of methods to collect your personal information from, and disclose your personal information to, these persons and organisations, including written forms, telephone calls and via electronic delivery. We may collect and disclose your personal information to these persons and organisations during the information life cycle, regularly, or on an ad hoc basis, depending on the purpose of collection.
Sometimes, we need to provide your personal information to – or get personal information about you from – persons located overseas, for the same purposes as in Why do we collect personal information?'
From time to time, we may need to disclose your personal information to, and collect your personal information from, other countries not on this list. Nevertheless, we will always disclose and collect your personal information in accordance with privacy laws.
Your personal information and our marketing practices
Every now and then, we and any of our related companies that use the Suncorp brand might let you know – including via mail, SMS, email, telephone or online – about news, special offers, products and services that you might be interested in. We will engage in marketing unless you tell us otherwise. You can contact us to update your marketing preferences at any time.
In order to carry out our direct marketing we collect your personal information from and disclose it to others that provide us with specialised data matching, trending or analytical services, as well as general marketing services (you can see the full list of persons and organisations under How we handle your personal information'). We may also collect your personal information for marketing through competitions and by purchasing contact lists.
We, and other people who provide us with products or services, may combine the personal information collected from you or others, with the information we, or companies in our Group, or our service providers already hold about you. We may also use online targeted marketing, data and audience matching and market segmentation to improve advertising relevance to you.
How to access and correct your personal information or make a complaint
For more information about our privacy practices including overseas disclosure or to tell us about your marketing preferences you can visit: http://www.suncorp.com.au/about-us/legal/privacy. Alternatively, you can get in touch directly by contacting:
Phone: 13 11 55