Protecting the North
Cyclones are a part of life in northern Australia and having helped protect Queenslanders for 99 years, Suncorp knows only too well the damage that can be done.
Damage to buildings is just the tip of the iceberg - with additional costs to communities including lost work time, clean up, rebuilding and of course the adverse impacts on people’s health.
As part of a new approach to help reduce risk and, in turn, the cost of insurance premiums in cyclone prone communities, we have developed a program called Protecting the North.
Through Protecting the North we are working to help reduce the damage cyclones can cause to houses, as well as making insurance more accessible with new, innovative products and features.
Suncorp recently won an award at the 2015 Australian Banking & Finance awards for Best Insurance Company in Socially Responsible Performance for our work on Protecting the North and the program is also playing a role in the Australian Government’s new 2015 National Climate Resilience and Adaption Strategy.
Join our mailing list
Our Protecting the North program includes:
Recognising cyclone mitigation work
Suncorp Insurance’s Cyclone Resilience Benefit is an insurance premium reduction available to certain Home and Landlord Insurance customers with properties located in those parts of northern Australia which are most likely to experience cyclones.*
Find out more
Making houses stronger through cyclone mitigation
We’re working with experts to better understand cyclone vulnerabilities in homes to help develop a comprehensive retrofit program to strengthen older homes. Our research shows that simple, low-cost mitigation can pay for itself after just one cyclone.
Suncorp Strata Insurance
Suncorp now offers strata insurance for small strata schemes (up to 10 units), with a feature which provides up to $10,000 towards the cost of purchasing and installing industry recognised building enhancements such as cyclone shutters in certain conditions.
Affordable insurance for low income earners
Our new insurance product, called Essentials by AAI, has been specifically tailored for low income earners, with policies starting from just $4 per week.
Find out more
Protecting the North is based on expert local research into cyclone mitigation
Suncorp partnered with the Cyclone Testing Station (CTS) at James Cook University (JCU) and Urbis to analyse insurance claims data so we can better understand cyclone vulnerabilities in homes, and what we can do to make them stronger. You can read the reports from this research here:
- Build to Last: A Protecting the North initiative
- JCU cyclone research - Phase 1 report
- JCU cyclone research - Phase 2 report
- Protecting the North: The benefits of cyclone mitigation
- Build to Last infographic
Suncorp media statements and public submissions
- Suncorp submission to NAIP taskforce interim report
- Attachment 1 (Build to Last report)
- Attachment 2 (JCU Cyclone research – phase 1 report)
- Attachment 3 (JCU cyclone research – phase 2 report)
- Attachment 4 (Urbis cyclone mitigation report)
- Attachment 5 (KPMG risk apportionment in the insurance sector)
- Attachment 6 (National Disaster Insurance Policy paper)
- Media release: North Queensland homeowners reaping the benefits of cyclone resilience
- Media release: Cyclone resilience answers in the palm of your hand
- Media release: Australian-first insurance for people on low incomes
- Media release: Protecting the North: Build to Last to tackle the problem, not the symptom
- Media release: Suncorp Strata: New insurance product to give cost relief and mitigation benefits
- Factsheet: Suncorp Strata insurance policy factsheet
- Media release: Initiatives to better protect North Queensland from cyclone
- Media release: Suncorp’s mitigation plan recognised in national climate strategy
- Media release: Suncorp Insurance Cyclone Resilience Benefit Launch
- Factsheet: Suncorp Insurance Cyclone Resilience Benefit
- Media release: Suncorp welcomes Insurance Taskforce report
*The Cyclone Resilience Benefit (CRB) is a mechanism through which eligible customers whose properties have certain building features or who have taken certain mitigation steps may be able to reduce their insurance premium from what they would otherwise have paid without those features or steps. Eligibility is dependent on property location. We will tell you if you are eligible, call us on 13 11 55. Other conditions apply. Find out more.
Suncorp Home, Landlord and Strata Insurance issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as Suncorp Insurance. Please read the Product Disclosure Statement before making any decision in relation to these products. Click here for a copy. New policies for Home & Contents Insurance may not be available in certain areas due to flood risk, please contact us for more information. Essentials by AAL issued by AAI Limited.