Caravan & Trailer Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What types of Caravans does Suncorp insure?

We insure all Australian built caravans that are used for private use. We also cover camper trailers and box trailers, car trailers and horse floats.

Q. I live in my caravan, can I still get cover?

Yes. Suncorp can insure your on-site caravan

Q. Am I covered for flood in my on-site caravan?

Yes. Suncorp Caravan insurance includes cover for ‘flood’.

‘Flood’ means the covering of normally dry land by water that has escaped or been released from the normal confines of any of the following:

(a) a lake (whether or not it has been altered or modified);
(b) a river (whether or not it has been altered or modified);
(c) a creek (whether or not it has been altered or modified);
(d) another natural watercourse (whether or not it has been altered or modified);
(e) a reservoir;
(f) a canal;
(g) a dam.

For full details refer to the PDS.

Q. What options can I add to my caravan cover?

You can ask us to add the following optional covers to your caravan cover for an additional premium:

  • Annexe cover
  • Increased  contents cover

For full details refer to the PDS.

Q. Why does Suncorp now offer ‘amount covered’ instead of market value on my caravan?

We have introduced cover on an ‘Amount Covered’ basis for all Suncorp Caravan Insurance policies. ’Amount Covered’ is our way of saying ‘Agreed Value’. Our policies are now designed this way so that customers have a clear understanding of what they are covered for at the start of each period of insurance.  You should always check that the amount covered for your caravan meets your needs as it may change at each renewal (for example taking into account depreciation).

Q. What are the changes to the features included in my Caravan insurance?

We have increased some of the limits included in your Caravan insurance.  These are:

  • Cover for contents in your caravan or annexe up to $1,000 is automatically included
  • Cover for Emergency repairs to allow you to tow your caravan has increased up to $1,000

Q.  What are the new features now included in my Caravan insurance?

The new features now included in our Caravan Insurance include:

  • If your caravan is less than 2 years old and you are the first owner or you purchased as an ‘ex demonstration’ model from a licensed dealer who was the first registered owner, and we agree your caravan is a total loss after a claim, we will replace it with a new one that we consider to be the same or a similar make or model.
  • Removal of debris costs following an incident covered on your policy up to $5,000
  • Cover for Motor burnout in motors up to 15 years in household appliances that form part of your caravan. The most we will pay is $1,000.

Q. What excess will I have to pay?

The amount and types of excesses are shown on your certificate of insurance. Depending on the circumstances, you might have to pay more than one type of excess when you claim. There are five different types of excess:

  • Standard - A standard excess applies to all claims unless stated otherwise in the PDS.
  • Voluntary – You can choose a voluntary excess from the range we offer to reduce your premium. This excess replaces the standard excess and applies to all claims unless stated otherwise in the PDS
  • Age – This applies if a driver under 25 years of age was towing, using or in charge of your caravan at the time of the incident.
  • Inexperienced – This applies if anyone over 25 and licensed less than 2 years was towing, using or in charge of your caravan at the time of the incident.
  • Off-road - This applies if your caravan is damaged whilst being towed on any beach or any dirt or unsealed road.

For more information about these excess types please read the Caravan Insurance PDS and the Premiums, Excesses, Discounts and Claim Payments Guide (PED Guide).

Q. Why can’t I insure my hail damaged caravan?

As we insure all caravans under comprehensive cover, we cannot accept a caravan that has pre-existing damage. Once this damage has been repaired we would be happy to review the situation again.

Q. I have a horse float with accommodation facilities attached, how can I insure it?

If a horse float has accommodation facilities added, we can offer cover under our Caravan policy. Once living accommodation has been added, it is no longer considered a trailer.

Q. What sorts of trailers will Suncorp insure?

We will cover the following types of trailers, that are for private use only;

  • 2, 4 & 6 wheel box trailers
  • Dog trailers (animals)
  • Horse floats (without accommodation facilities)
  • Gooseneck trailers
  • Car trailer (accommodates single car only)
  • Radical trailer


The features and benefits described apply to new customers from November 26 2012 and existing customers on renewal from November 26 2012. Insurance issued by Suncorp Metway Insurance Ltd. ABN 83 075 695 966. Approved applicants only. Exclusions apply. Please read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before you make any decisions regarding this product. Ask us for a copy.