Suncorp Group IT Woman’s Scholarship
Suncorp Group IT Woman’s Scholarship is a focused campaign created to empower girls and women by fostering equal economic, educational and employment opportunities. Suncorp Group is committed to achieving a workforce that is representative of a diverse employment base, the customers that we interact with and the communities within which we operate. Our program has been created to build our female IT workforce of the future and encourage females to participate, prosper, and lead in the global economy.
Who can apply?
Applicants must satisfy all of the following criteria to be eligible:
- Be a female student at an Australian or New Zealand university who has completed one or more years of a Bachelors degree with at least one year of study remaining, whether as part of a Bachelors or postgraduate degree.
- Be enrolled in full-time undergraduate or postgraduate study at a university or equivalent tertiary institution in Australia or New Zealand for the following year.
- Be studying Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology, E-Commerce or a closely related technical field. Dual degrees will be highly regarded
- Maintain an excellent academic record (e.g. credit average plus).
Citizens, permanent residents, and international students are eligible to apply. Past applicants and finalists are also encouraged to re-apply. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
The application process
You will be asked to submit:
- your contact information, education and work history
- a copy of your transcripts (Bachelors, Masters and PhD, if applicable)
- your resume – with extra-curricular activities, work, education, and technical accomplishments included
- 2 letters of recommendation (preference for work or university recommendations, no personal will be accepted)
- Answer the 4 application questions below in one of the following formats. YOU CHOOSE EITHER:
- Written submission - maximum 1000 words OR
- Video submission - 5 minute video (unlisted video uploaded to YouTube submitting the URL with your application)
- Answer 1 of the technical questions from the list below. Maximum length of the written component is 1000 words
- Introduce yourself - what you do, study (favourite), passions
- Why did you choose to study IT, and what career aspirations do you have
- What trends are you aware of in the Information Technology industry with regards to Women and IT Careers? What forces influence these trends and what action if any needs to be taken?
- What do you expect out of the Suncorp Group IT Vacation program?
Optional Extra Question: If you were given 10 mins with the Suncorp board of directors, what would you talk about and why?
Technical Questions (answer one only)
- What emerging technologies do you think that the Suncorp group should invest in, and why would this be of benefit to our Business?
- How can Suncorp innovative mobile technology to increase revenue and customer engagement in the insurance industry?
Your submission can include screenshots or sketches, industry research, a recommendations document or even a demonstration site!
Scholarship finalists and recipients will be notified in September 2013.
A selection panel will assess submissions and allocate scholarships to outstanding applicants, as evidenced by their outstanding industry knowledge, excellent communication skills, and clear passion for women in IT. If shortlisted you may be required to undertake a phone interview. Successful applicants for Women in IT Scholarship will be contacted in September. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified by email and have the opportunity to apply for the vacation program directly.
Scholarship Award includes:
- 10 week paid placement in the Suncorp IT Vacation program, working in one of the largest internal IT organisations in Australia.
- Training and experience in Agile project methodology
- An Executive Manager to mentor and guide you through your placement, challenge your thinking and support your career development
- A Graduate buddy to help you ‘learn the ropes’ and introduce you to our graduate community
NB: After the Vacation placement opportunities could include securing a position in our Suncorp Graduate Program and possible part time paid work until your studies are completed.